BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, January 9, 2010

(HW 31) exploring methods...


Part A: I thought about someone I could ask that wouldn't get offended. I asked my friend Timothy why he works out so much and how did it all start. He told me that as a young kid he was overweight and didn't want to be like that when he was older. I see him now an he works out everyday and is losing weight. He wants to be able to show off at the beach. In connection, I recently went to a store in Soho called hollister where the guys and girls are wearing close to nothing. Some of the guys are even shirtless. I feel as if my friend wants to work out so he can gain confidence in himself. I asked him what was the purpose in doing this. He responded "I always liked this girl and she would never give me the time of day. So I figured, ill start working out and she will notice im serious." I couldnt help but giggle because I know this is TRUE. Our friend Emily didnt pay any attention to him. Timothy is buff now and is dating Emily. No one would have ever guessed. In my opinion, some people try to change themselves in anyway they can to be and feel accepted. We are influenced by the media, people around us, magazines and even family. My grandmother tells me all the time, you need to lose weight, she even calls me butter ball sometimes. Since people have told me that it sticks in my head so when I see that model in a magazine you think about what people have told you.

Part B: Honestly I still aggrandize myself by buying certain clothes, getting my nails done a certain color and so on. I look at magazines often. My favorite part is in the back were they show you what's in style or "cool". They show you everything from clothes, makeup,nail color, accesories and electronics. The next appointment I make at the nail salon, the color I pick is the one I saw in the magazine. Clothes are a way people aggrandize themselfs. They sometimes try to cover it up like "I buy this because its my style and Im unique". When the really answer is that we are influenced and like to show off to others to be ranked at the top. Like andy was talking about in class, within your crew at school you would rank yourself high but from the outside your not really that.

0 comments: